Lobster, Lobster, Lobster








There was a sale! I coulddn't pass up this sale. My favorite gourmet market had lobster for $6.99 a pound. I bought 6 lobsters. You really can't have too much lobster. *grin*

With fresh lobster though you must either have a large stomach to eat all the lobster you just bought or the desire to want frozen leftover meat. I not only wanted frozen leftover meat, but I wanted LOBSTER STOCK. Lobster stock is rich, full of flavor and can make your next dish top notch!

Lobster Stock
All Shells:
Picked clean of meat. I don't clean the legs but toss them in the stock. I only use the exterior of the body. None of the gills, eyes or lungs. I also toss the tomalley. (Sorry tomalley lovers!)

Veggies:
Celery, onion, carrot, garlic, and parsley. Might have had a stray leek or two.
Peppercorns
Salt
Bay leaves, optional

Water

Mix all dry ingredients together and cover with water in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil and skim the top of the foam. Let simmer about 3 hours. Strain, cool quickly and pack in about 2 cup containers for future recipes.

Lobster Meat
Any leftover meat I packaged up in plastic wrap and a ziploc bag. I ended up with two 6 ounce packages and one 8 ounce package.

I will use the meat for something like lobster bisque, seafood crepes or maybe a seafood lasagna.

Comments

Sally said…
OH YUM! Melissa, I love lobster...but I don't think I could throw one in the hot pot. Do they really scream?
Melissa said…
Hi Sally!
Thank you for the comment!

They don't scream, no. If you hear a funny whistle it is the air coming out of the shell. I have boiled as well as just steamed my lobsters, many over the last years, and never heard one yet. And I've really listened too! No whistlers either.
Michelle said…
WOW..lobster stock! So fun to work with. What are you doing make with all the stock?

I don't blame you for stocking up on the lobster @ $6.99 lb, my freezer would be full!

Michelle
Anonymous said…
Great price on the lobster, and thanks for sharing how you deal with it...stock, meat, freezing, using...sometimes it is just nice to see it all in words and pictures and think, "Hey, I think I could actually do that, too!" Thanks for sharing. Gorgeous photos!

Popular Posts