Sur la Table 2010



I love Las Vegas. I love Sur la Table. I have been trying to make it an annual event to go to Las Vegas and when I'm there I like to go to Sur la Table, in the Miracle Mile Shops, and buy all sorts of neat foodie items.

Welcome to my Sur la Table adventure for 2010. (Sur la Table 2009 is posted here.)

I took a long list this time. I read so many foodie magazines, my list of new tools is always growing. I also saw a well organized pantry in Real Simple magazine and that's why I bought a few of the OXO Good Grips storage containers. Those are going to be great!

Through the year, as I'm using my cooking items, I find what I love, what works well, improved handles, etc. For instance, the Sur la Table Organic Kitchen Towels probably make me sound snooty, but those towels are my favorite. They don't smear glasses, don't get crunchy after drying your hands, wash up well and always seem to be the towels I reach for. Downside, color choice is limited.

Le Creuset changed their heat-proof spatula handles about 2 years ago to a rounded handle versus a flat one. I bought some rounded handled versions last year and I definitely want all rounded handles now! Problem is, my Le Creuset spatulas are so durable that none of mine are dying. Darn spatulas. I only bought one rounded handle this trip. My spatula crock is um...a bit full :>).

Emile Henry dishes are good quality, I like the sizes and color options. I have found that buying portion sized plates are nice and make for easy clean-up. It's easier to prepare the dinner, place the dishes in the oven and finish baking. While the dinner is baking, the rest of the mess is easily cleaned-up and after dinner, just the two dishes remain. I bought two individual gratins - I say baked cheesy pasta coming soon.

Some of the coolest tools I find at Sur la Table are smaller items. Their Multi-Grater looks to be one great gadget. 5 pieces of varying lids with different grates, all grate down into a measuring bowl. One of the lids can be snapped to the bottom to prevent the bowl from scooting during the grating. There is also an airtight storage lid. Fine grating, shredding, parmesan, etc. I'm really excited about using this item.

It's probably hard to see in the picture but some of the items are smaller like the silver recipe holder on the right, cheesecloth, bottle pourers (I'm using for dishsoap), ladle, and heat proof tongs - a must for non-stick skillets.

The pot lid holder is great! I tried it on a pot at the store and it was perfect! Basically it clips to your pot and then you set the lid into the holder. Keeps you from having to lay your lid around your counter/stove and getting water drips everywhere. Can't wait to give that a try.

Various towels for lining cupboards...boring. Wine bottle foil cutter...ho-hum.

I'm excited about the little Cuisinart chopper. It's a 3 cup. Since I cook for two it can be hard to always use my big Cuisinart to make things like remoulades. I needed something smaller. This one looks perfect and came in "Pomegranate", which is actually red. Exclusive colors to Sur la Table. Many Cusinart items in these colors.

The cutting board just looked so cool to me. I seem to reach for my lighter weight cuttingboards over my Boos block. I love my Epicurean cutting board which I got in Vegas a few years back. This time I got a new one that is actually created from recycled plastics, made in the USA, and is the right size. Each board uses 60+ plastic containers to manufacture! Bonus: when done with the product, call for a pre-paid shipping label to recycle it again. I'm starting to sound like a green earth person with my organics and my cutting board. Ha.

Anyway, my Sur la Table adventure was a huge hit for me again. They make it so easy and ship everything for free to my home. I can't imagine trying to get on the plane with all my "souveneirs". Excuse me Sir, didn't mean to boink you on the head with my Cuisinart box.

I'm off to unpack, wash, and put all my new toys away.

Comments

Kayte said…
Oh, this is so much fun reading all this...I was just so eager to hear what you got this year. Always fun to see new things. That pot lid holder thing sounds interesting, will love to see how that works out. I love those litle individual casserole dishes, I also use them on the plate to keep things up off the plate for the kids that don't like things touching, use it to put the salad in for us on the plate, etc. when everything is more casual in dining, countless uses for those things, all because I saw that you got some last year and I had to get some, too. The grater thing sounds really interesting as well. The small Cuisinart is something I have been wishing for as I find that I use small portions of things that I don't want to haul out the big one for...and sauces, etc., putting that one on my Christmas list this year. Did not know anything about those towels, so will look for one of those to give a try as well...and all the things you bought were just so great! Thanks for sharing...really, thanks! Can't wait to see next year's haul!
Unknown said…
The great adventures of Melissa. I love reading your post. I would love to go on one of your shopping expeditions. Everything looks great. I know they all will get use.
Anonymous said…
hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Popular Posts