Mexican Pulled Chicken Burritos


Yikes, is that my tiny toaster oven? It sure could stand some cleaning. I have to admit it gets a serious workout. At first when I said I wanted one, I think I was saying, how cool to have one. I never thought I'd use it anywhere near the amount that I do. Look, it's even my plate warmer. How cool is that? And that dinner melting, oozing, and calling me to sample it is my Mexican Pulled Chicken Burritos.


Mexican Pulled Chicken Burritos. They probably aren't authentic since I made up the recipe and I'm not Mexican, Spanish or have any in my heritage, but I'd like to *think* I am. !Hola! !Bienvenido a mi blog!


I roast a whole chicken that I rub with olive oil then several spices such as:

Chili Powder
Cayenne
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Salt
Black Pepper


I stuff the inside of the chicken with cubes of onion, garlic cloves and sometimes a hot pepper.


Bake 375 in a roasting pan with a rack for about 1 1/2 hours or until the thermometer reads 180. I bring it out, let cool and then shred the meat. Use your leftover chicken carcass for stock! I wrap, bag and freeze the chicken for meals another day.

********************


Then whenever I'm in the mood for the chicken burritos I pull out the meat, defrost and in a short time, have lucious burritos on the table. Lucious? Did I just say lucious? They are good, cheesy, spicy, with that baked goodness. Okay, maybe they are lucious.


Oh sorry, I guess you want the recipe huh. This is it:

Saute chopped onion and garlic. Add remaining ingredients and simmer.

Cooked chicken, mix of white and dark meat
Canned Chipotle peppers, about 1-2, with some of the adobe sauce
Canned tomatoes - sometimes I use salsa if that's what is taking up room in the fridge :)
Cumin
Chili Powder
Chicken Stock

Toss in black beans, corn, cilantro if desired.

Add this filling to a tortilla shell and wrap closed. Lay in a greased baking dish. Pour one of these three topping on the burritos:

1) Enchilada Sauce
2) Chipotle w/ Adobo mixed with tomato sauce
3) Roasted hot peppers, blended with chicken stock

Then top with cheese and green onions. Bake at 350 in the toaster oven for about 20 minutes. Until cheese is melted and hot through the dish. If you use a regular oven, aim for about 375.

Comments

Unknown said…
MMMMMMMMM! Yummy what a good idea to roast the chicken then have the meat on hand!

Popular Posts