Fish and Chips / Fryer Chat


I have a deep fryer that is a separate appliance. It looks something like this item. I do not have this exact model, but something similar. I have been making donuts, french fries, chimichangas, fried apple pies, etc. in it. I loved that fryer. Sadly, I think it needs to um...go to appliance heaven.

Making homemade fish and chips is one of the best cooking dishes in life. You get to control the batter flavor, the crisp, the amount, and the freshness of the fish. I've made it zillions of times and it just ends up, whimpy, sad, and bland.

I finally decided to do it on the stovetop and add a deep fry thermometer. I have one that is similar to this one. I have to admit, I don't remember what I paid. But it has been a wonderful kitchen tool that I will always use.

Upon the heating of the oil, we ooo-ed and aaah-ed over the bubbly-ness of the oil. Interestingly...the old deep fryer sizzled, even on it's highest setting but didn't look THAT hot, not like this. The dutch oven I used to deep fry on the stovetop looked great! Dropped the fish in and in a few minutes, VIOLA!! Perfect deep fried fish! It was the best.

To make great fish and chips:

1) Make sure the oil is the right temp. Don't rely on the temperature gage of your deep fryer appliance. Use a back-up thermometer.

2) Follow this great breading recipe.

My Doctored Good Fried Fish Recipe

2 pounds of cod or halibut, trimmed and boned
3 cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 can warm beer, unopened

Mix the flour and seasoning together. Remove about 1 cup of the mixture. Now you should have a 2 cup mixture and a 1 cup mixture. Add the beer to the 2 cup mixture. This is now your batter. Should resemble something like a pancake batter.

Cut the fish into fish like strips. About 3 ounce pieces. Dredge the fish into 1 cup flour mixture, then into the batter shaking off the excess. Drop into heated oil and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.

Remove from oil, drain well. Keep on a foil lined cookie sheet in a warm oven till the rest of the fish is done. TRY to prevent snacking...although I think at least a bite or two is okay :)

Serve with your favorite tartar sauce. Unless you are a malt vinegar person! I just love homemade tartar. Another day for that recipe!

Comments

Melanie said…
I can't wait for the tartar sauce recipe.

Popular Posts