Best Griddler Potatoes!

Last weekend we watched an episode of Rachel Ray. I know - eyeroll. But she was the "middle show". One of those shows you watch just because there is nothing else on and you want to watch the next show.

Rachel made these Roasted Thick Potato Chips. I thought it seemed a bit brutal to sprinkle sliced potatoes with fresh herbs and then roast at 500F. I knew I wanted to try some version of those, just wasn't sure what to do.

Today I decided we should make some potatoes to go with our veal chops for dinner. It popped into my mind that the Cuisinart Griddler might really work well with these sliced potatoes. I decided that before ruining a dinner with funky, odd cooked potatoes that I would give a test run this afternoon.

I had remembered seeing a recipe for an herb olive oil and knew this would be the perfect addition to these potatoes. It's not a requirement but it definitely is tasty.

Herb Oil - Adapted from The Bread Baker's Apprentice, pg 163

Herb Oil
2 cups olive oil
1 cup chopped fresh herbs or 1/3 cup dried herbs

Warm olive oil and steep the herbs.

I used dried herbs and I used quite a variety. The book suggests "may include basil, parsley, oregano, tarragon, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, savory and sage, in any combination". It also suggests coarse salt, coarsely ground black pepper, granulated or fresh garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, fennel seeds, onion powder or dried minced onions.

You can keep the oil in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

This recipe has an enormous amount of flex to it. I love it!
I used:
Garlic Powder
*Coarse Kosher Salt (amount depends on how much you will be salting your finished item)
Cracked Black Pepper
Thyme
Crushed Red Pepper
Onion Powder
Pasta Sprinkle - Penzey's blend of "sweet basila, Turkish oregano, thyme and garlic"
Fennel Seeds

I heated 1 cup of olive oil, added about 1/4 cup of the herb blend and let it steep for 10 minutes. I'm glad I made this, not only was it good on the potatoes, but the herb oil will be great for so many dishes!

Best Griddler Potatoes
  • Preheat griddler to 350F, set on high and select grill/panini
  • Wash potatoes.
  • Slice potatoes lengthwise, about 1/4" slices
  • Brush griddler with the herb oil
  • Lay potato slices on the griddler
  • Brush the slices with the herb oil
  • Close the lid down on the sliced potatoes and grill about 20 minutes or until they are done to your idea of brown and crispy.
  • Rotate during cooking if desired.
  • Remove from the grill, sprinkle with salt*.
  • Serve with your favorite toppings, i.e., sour cream and chives, ketchup, horseradish, etc.

I only cooked one potato and will need more slices for dinner. I will grill and then leave in a 300F oven to stay warm while I finish the additional slices. Be sure to salt when removed from the Griddler.

Remember how I was just doing a test run? Well there are no leftovers. They were gobbled instantly. Barely had enough time to get a photo!

Cuisinart Griddler purchased from Costco with their coupon, making it $69.99. Definitely worth it.

Don't have a griddler? Perhaps follow Rachel's recipe or even sandwich the potatoes between two cookie sheets. They won't have grill marks, but they will still be flavorful and crispy.

Comments

Kayte said…
These look wonderful and I am certain they could find a fan base here with the boys. Need to try these, thanks for the inspiration, and of course, the recipe. Rachel can be inpsiring, it just wears me out to watch her...at the end of the show I am out of breath and exhauseted and I haven't done anything except watch her scurry about and talk long and loud! LOL.
Kim M said…
These look entirely addictive and recipes like this (plus some equally good photography to go with them - you are an evil seducer, woman ) are a big part of why I nominated you as my great blog on a little creative blogger thing we're participating in on a blog I write for
Keep up the great work!!

Popular Posts