Roasting Tomatoes - The Way I Learned





When I first learned how to roast tomatoes, I had read the cookbook, The Food of Campanile. This is written by Mark Peel and Nancy Silverton. Mark is Nancy's husband. I only read it because I LOVE Nancy Silverton. Want to learn to make real bread? Want to learn what really ARTISAN is about? Check out Nancy Silverton. Another day I shall post about my sourdough starter.


In The Food of Campanile (my version pg 241), is their recipe for Slow-Roasted Tomatoes. I love roasting my tomatoes and would never have learned how to vary my recipe if it was not for Nancy and Mark.


They suggest laying each tomato in half and inserting garlic slices into the tomatoes, olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper and thyme. They also slow roast their tomatoes, about 3 hours at 225 degrees.


Over the years, have I gotten lazy? Hungrier? I rough chop mine with garlic and onion (the easy way) and roast from there. But I do have to admit...oh my word, there method is so awesome. Sometimes I just don't have the time to sliver the garlic, etc.


I did get 50 pounds of Roma tomatoes this year and even though they were fresh tomatoes and wonderful all on their own, I often can't resist the urge of roasting. I roasted maybe about 15 pounds of the tomatoes and I did follow the true Mark and Nancy recipe.


Aren't these so beautiful? Thanks Campanile!

Comments

Debra said…
What do you do with roasted tomato's?
Melissa said…
Hi Debbie,
Thanks for visiting my blog! I use them for a pasta sauce, I eat them with crusty bread, I mash them into sauces, I whiz them in the food processor for making like a coulis on a plate like served with a grilled chicken breast, and well I have to admit, sometimes I snack on the leftovers with crackers :)

Melissa

Popular Posts