Whisk Wednesday: Soft-Boiled Eggs w/ Spinach and Mornay Sauce



WHAT? "We're having what for brunch?", my dear SO says. We're having Oeufs Mollets Florentine. It means Soft-Boiled Eggs with Spinach and Mornay Sauce.

"Okay", he says.
"What's the back-up?", he asked
"Back-up?"
"If this turns out gross, what are we having?"
"Uh, leftover pizza?"

Let me say that this dish is GREAT. No leftover pizza required. We BOTH loved it. It's rich, it's creamy, it's real spinach, just a rich, comfortable, relaxing brunch. I think serving wine would be perfect.

I made the baguettes from here. A great accompaniment to this dish as you can scoop up some spinach, egg, and sauce with your wedge of bread.

I can't share the directions, but you can consider purchasing Le Cordon Bleu At Home and making it yourself.

The ingredient list was ho-hum and nothing jumped out to you to say...oh this will be wonderful. You have to taste it to know. Since we've tasted it now we know exactly what we will have for another brunch in the future.

Soft-boiled eggs are served over spinach with a rich, creamy and elegant mornay sauce.

6 eggs
Salt
20 ounces fresh spinach
Mornay Sauce:
1T butter
2 T flour
1c cold milk
Salt
White Pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 oz Gruyere cheese, grated

Spinach in the bottom of the dish, with the egg, sauce, bit of cheese, bread crumbs and a quick broil.

Love the Mornay! Used some extra side sauce for bread dipping. This is where I take a bite, turn my head to him and give him the look that says, please don't eats yours because after I eat mine, I will want yours too....and he looks at my face and says...oh really???????

Now it's your turn to say, "Oh really?".

Comments

Shari said…
Your enthusiasm was so welcome and inspiring this week! THANK YOU for joining our group and cheering us on with your tips and advice. You wow-ed us all. And a homemade baguette too! You're amazing.
Anonymous said…
Oh, yours looks very very good...I love how yours browned so nicely...I was afraid to let it stay in any longer because my breadcrumbs were getting too toasty...yours looks perfect! Too funny about wanting to eat his, too...I put the leftover mornay sauce on asparagus the next day and it was so good...let's see, what else could we use that for do you suppose...need more reasons to make that again and again and again! LOL. Thanks for your "heads up" on the breadcrumbs as I would not have noticed that on my own until the very end!
NKP said…
It really was wonderful wasn't it? I still have some sauce left as I did half the eggs but the whole amount of sauce. Maybe on some poached eggs today...
I love the little single serving dish of the eggs, it looks so cute. And you made baguette - perfect accompaniment! See you next Wednesday!
Anonymous said…
What a great post Melissa! Your dish looks lovely and your description is wonderful! I love your writing style too. Welcome to the group! Happy whisking!
Michelle said…
Gosh your oeufs look great and the baguettes...superior! I've never made baguette and must try it when we're neck deep in snow this winter!

Michelle
Sean said…
That looks amazing - and ovo-lacto vegetarian to boot! It's a shame you can't supply the whole recipe.

Great blog!

Popular Posts