Whisk Wednesdays: Truite de Mer, Sauce Verte

Looks almost like an interesting salad...but wait...is that a HEAD?

This fish was supposed to be a whole fish (yaaack) that you plated beautifully, replacing the skin/scales with a sauce verte and delicately sliced cucumbers. Hmmm..delicately sliced, eh?

How about sliced about 2 minutes before eating, practically tossing them on and grossing over the finished fish. Now I know why you poach it in a towel! They don't want to you to KNOW what his um...HEAD is going to look like.

Maybe he was poached too well, but the towel had bits of skin, scales and a few bones even slid out. Yeah, nice...someday when I'm laughing more about the recipe than about the freaky BODY and HEAD I served, I'll tell you the washing machine event from that towel.

I tried to make it look like the picture, I tried to make the sauce verte, I tried to find the perfect salmon. I didn't have the best of luck......but on a positive note, I did have some good kitchen fun!

The mayonnaise required 2 egg yolks. I used 6. Yes, 6. And why is that? Am I hiding a secret mayonnaise addiciton? In a word...no. I simply cannot read directions and therefore had to start the mayonnaise, not once or twice, but three times. The charm of three times. Although now I'm short on eggs for the holiday cookies I was supposed to be cooking tonight.

Where is the fun of this you ask??? AHA!! It is where I take the leftover fish, clean it from bones, use some sauce verte, add onion, celery and a bunch of secret seasonings. Mix it into salmon salad and take it for work lunches. FABULOUS. Just FABULOUS. And see...you thought the whole recipe was a National Lampoon's Kitchen Event and Chevy Chase would be popping by with a chef hat on. Well, no cute visual, more like ugly fish, but great leftovers!

Comments

Anonymous said…
OMW, this looks fabulous! You did a great job with this, I am so impressed! The head, I will grant you, looks frightening and I can't even believe you could stand to look at that...but you did complete the assignment as requested and learned a ton in the process...way to go! You WIN this week, unless someone else comes up with something better, and I don't see how they could! Funny about the mayo...isn't that mayo great? I can only make it in small batches or it tends to end up in just about everything around here...yum! Great post. You are amazing doing that whole fish!
Michelle said…
Yep the head is ugly but the fillets are delicious! This was one of my favorites so far!

Michelle
Shari said…
I'm impressed that you gave the whole fish a go! You must have a ton of mayo! Great job!!
Anonymous said…
Melissa, I love your post! It's up-front and honest to the...bone! I applaud your courage at accepting the challenge head on! Way to GO!
I'm anxious to give this one a try!
Now...about those eggs...if we were only closer! I could easily share a couple DOZEN!

Happy Holidays!
Glennis

Popular Posts