Duck, Duck


I am having a BLAST with my Whisk Wednesday club. We are cooking from the Le Cordon Bleu at Home Cookbook and it's giving me some real challenges! I'm really learning some wonderful recipes and methods. My favorite part of the cooking is that when I've read the recipe, I think, that sounds kinda plain. But I follow the recipe dilligently and am presented with the most wonderful tasting dish!

This week's challenge was Roasted Duck with Glazed Turnips. Not just any old turnips mind you. Turnips that were cut to a specific 2-inch length, and pare the sides into small barrel shapes that have 7 faces.

Yes! 7 faces! Well mine are more like apple wedges but suprisingly they were very tasty and glazed just perfectly and even sauced with a touch of the veal stock.

The duck. The duck was trussed, then lightly pan seared and then roasted at 425 degrees with vegetables like onions and carrots.

425 degrees? I've never cooked a bird at 425 degrees. I've never tried to sear a duck on all sides either. What an interesting fun time that was! I'm interested to hear how my other friends did the searing. Just how do you pick up a 5 pound duck to roll him around? Tongs? I ended up using tongs in one hand and my metal bench scraper in the other. Hilarious.

I do think the 425 was too hot for the veggies though, they did get very carmelized but I removed them so the sauce would not have a burnt flavor. I used the pan drippings, veal stock, bouquet garni, etc to make a smooth, rich, and beautiful finishing sauce. Wonderful meal!

Comments

Michelle said…
Oh congratulations...your duck looks fabulous!

Wasn't that veal stock worth all the trouble? I will never make beef stock again! From now on it's veal stock or nothing!
Melanie said…
It looks beautiful.
Anonymous said…
Oh, it looks so great...yours is just beautiful! Was it really tasty and delicious and you can't wait to make it again????
Shari said…
Your duck looks perfect! I loved the glazed turnips too, even though I'm not a big turnip eater. I had to use tongs and a wooden spoon to turn the duck too. Great job!!
Anonymous said…
Your duck is beautiful! I've done lots of cooking, but this was a first for me as well...I noticed that one of the other group members cut their veggies into much larger pieces than I did...I think that made a lot of difference too. That would make it easier to strain the liquid off the roaster too. I used a pair of tongs and a silicone glove to turn my duck. And had hubby hold a container for the duck fat that came off the pan. Great job & welcome!!

Popular Posts