Tex-Mex Red Chicken Chili



One word. Crockpot.


I find that when I use the crockpot, I'm totally eliminated from the cooking, simmering, adding and layering of ingredients and seasoning as I'm cooking. I love doing the cooking part and the crockpot just takes that all away.

However, there are some days when I have to clean, do laundry, cook OTHER meals, veg out and surf the web. And I supposed those days could possibly, maybe, be good for crockpot recipes.

Oh but wait! I didn't use a recipe. Ooops. I did the routine of "I need to weed out from the freezer". I weeded out, oh yes, but can you even tell??? I wonder.

Meat:
1 pound package of chicken thighs (some were boneless, skinless, others had bones and skin)
Mexican seasoning (chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper)

Remove defrosted thighs from package and set on a platter. Give them a good rub of the mexican seasoning. Let rest at room temperature.

Veggies:
Onions, chopped
Garlic, chopped
Jalapenos, roasted poblanos, anaheim peppers, or a mix of, chopped
Corn, straight from the freezer

Beans:
Light Red Kidney, rinsed and drained
Black, rinsed and drained
Field Peas, rinsed and drained

Base:
Canned Tomatoes, I used whole peeled (hand crushed) and diced
Chicken Stock

Seasoning:
More of the above rub.

Add all ingredients to your crockpot and leave on low for 8 hours, 4 on high. I used low and kept stirring. For the thighs, about an hour before I wanted to serve, I removed the chicken from the bones, cut/shred into bite size pieces and return to the chili.

Toppings (Optional):
Green Onions, sliced
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Sour Cream
Fresh Cilantro, chopped

Comments

Anonymous said…
This looks so yummy!
Michelle said…
I am beginning to love Chili again! And yours looks wonderful!

I just give you an award!

http://bigblackdogs.blogspot.com/2009/02/very-belated-thank-yous.html
Anonymous said…
I love, love, love all those toppings...great recipe...thanks for sharing!

Popular Posts