Cubicle Crawl


I head up our Charity of the Month at work as a special assignment. Our best method of raising donations is something "food". We always have one jean day a month.

This month we decided to have "Cubicle Crawl". That is where whoever wanted to bring snacks, would bring them in, set them up on their cubicle cabinet and collect donations from snackers.

WHAT A HUGE HIT! We ended up with only about 12 cubicles with food, but raised almost $400!

I was still searching recipes and racking my brain for a new idea the day before the Cubicle Crawl. I would only be in the office during the morning and was thinking of a crockpot breakfast. On my way to the store, my brain "invented" the following recipe.

Need Recipe Name, For Now, I'll Call It Michigan Mexican Breakfast Casserole

I made 2 giant pans of this casserole and let it cool, cut into squares, wrap about 9squares into a large foil package. I took the "packages" to work and warmed (still in the package) in an electric pan with the lid. Perfect!

Essentially, this is a green chili bisquick crust, topped with sausage, salsa, cheese mixture.

Crust:
2 eggs
1 cup bisquick (I used the heart healthy one)
7 ounces canned green chilies, diced
Good sprinkle of taco seasoning
Cheddar cheese, shredded

Mix crust, spread into a 9x13 dish. This will appear thing, but puffs up pretty good. Shake a good bit of cheddar cheese over the top.


Topping:
1/2 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tube breakfast sausage
16 ounces salsa

Soften onions and garlic in a large fry pan. Add breakfast sausage (I used one tube Bob Evans), crumble and cook till done. I drained some of the fat off and added the salsa jar. Let simmer till the flavors are melded.

Add the topping to the baking dish right on top of the crust. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

What I really liked about this recipe is the way you could change the ingredients. Need it hotter? Use hot breakfast sausage. Want a smokey taste? Add a chipotle and sprinkle of cumin. Don't have a cooking onion, do you have green ones? Be flexible and have fun!

Comments

Popular Posts