Whisk Wednesday: Guinea Hen w Mushrooms and Chesnuts


Whisk Wednesday! Love playing with the food. Apparently, taking APPEALING food pictures however is not something I'm capable of...but I must say this was a very good, rich, take-the-chill off Sunday chicken dinner.

I subbed chicken for the guinea hen and walnuts for the chesnuts. It was a real experiment for me since I don't normally cook the nuts in a sauce. I sometimes use pine nuts or whiz almonds in the food processor, but these were walnut halves and produced quite a bit of texture.

The dish included Oyster mushrooms, button mushrooms, pearl onions and a beautiful red wine sauce finished with the cooking juices and butter. We really enjoyed this dish and even ate the other half the second day. Great meal!

Want to join us? Visit Whisk: a food blog. Want to see how my companions faired? See their blog posts from the blog roll .

Comments

Shari said…
I'm definitely following your lead and using walnuts next time!
Anonymous said…
Looks like lots of good stuff in that very pretty blue bowl of yours! Just the thing to set that dish off nicely. Great job...and even better that you liked it! I bet walnuts and chicken taste good together...like in chicken salad I like either walnuts or pecans...or almonds...or macadamia nuts...or hazelnuts...okay...I like nuts! LOL!
Anonymous said…
Melissa, I'm behind and still haven't made the dish yet. But, I have my walnuts out and that's the route I"m going. I just made a great walnut, garlic topping for pasta that was really good. You've convinced me that I'm going to like this dish. BTW, thanks for your kind words today. Means a lot. And, I like having you as a foodie friend too.
Michelle said…
Mine is in the oven as I'm typing this. Last nighty I had everything prepped and then we had a power outage which lasted for 2 hrs. I was too tired to cook when the power was restoted.

I'm glad you enjoyed this dish. It sure looks good.
Anonymous said…
Interesting...not at all what I anticipated...this one ought to be interesting!

Popular Posts