Baked Halibut Fish Sticks - Definitely Make Again

I love halibut. I'm sure you couldn't tell by all the halibut recipes on my blog. You can substitute cod or another mild white fish too.

Halibut Fish Sticks
Adapted from Martha Stewart's recipe here.

1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 pound halibut, cut into wide strips

Preheat oven to 425. Set a rack inside a cookie sheet.

Place egg in a bowl; season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine panko, seasonings and oil. Dip halibut into egg, shaking off excess, then into panko mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on rack.

Bake until lightly browned, 13-15 minutes.

Serve halibut sticks with tartar sauce and malt vinegar.

I don't have a special tartar sauce recipe, although I do make my own. Each time I vary the ingredients but most often I use:

Mayonnaise, dijon, capers, dill relish, pepper, cayenne and lemon juice. Mix together, allow flavors to meld for about 1 hour.

I really enjoyed these strips and I think I will make these again but not cut the filets. They would make great fish sandwiches. I think this is a flexible recipe. I like how the fish is baked and it eliminates the mess of frying, while also being healthier.

Comments

Audrey said…
Definitely make, period! I love to order fish when I'm out but I never ever make it at home, and I want to. This looks wonderful, and easy. Thanks for posting it!

Popular Posts