Peachy Peaches!

When I think of upside-down cake, I always think pineapple. I received the following recipe which sounded pretty good and I thought I had better buy some fresh peaches since it's the season in Michigan.

My favorite farm market has the most beautiful peaches right now. I bought a large bag of them and came home to search my peach recipes.

I selected this one called Peach Upside-Down Cake. I am taking this to work tomorrow.

Peach Upside-Down Cake
3 cups thinly sliced peeled peaches -- (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Cooking spray
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter -- softened
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 1/4 cups vanilla fat-free frozen yogurt
6 tablespoons fat-free caramel sundae syrup -- warmed

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Spoon into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray.

Place 2/3 cup sugar and next 4 ingredients (2/3 cup sugar through egg) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (for about 5 minutes). Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add the flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.

Spoon batter over peach mixture in pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Place a plate upside down on top of cake, and invert onto plate. Serve warm with frozen yogurt and the caramel syrup.

Note: I received the following recipe through an online group. The source noted was provided to me and I am not able to verify accuracy. Author: Cooking Light , AUGUST 2001.

My changes:
I did not serve with the ice cream or the caramel sauce.


Tip: peeling peaches is much easier if you blanch in boiling water for about 30 seconds. The skins will slip right off.

Comments

Kayte said…
Mark's favorite cake is Pineapple Upside Down Cake, but he loves peaches, so I am thinking this is going to be a treat for him soon. Yours looks wonderful!
Hi Melissa just stopped by for a visit - it's been a while. Couldn't help but stop for a piece of this cake - looks great :-)
Sue

Popular Posts