Refreshingly Crisp Iced Tea


While reading the hazards, yet again, of drinking Diet Sodas I decided to research brewing up some homemade fresh iced tea.
This recipe turned out with a good tea flavor but without the bitterness that I normally find in tea.

I have made this recipe a few times now as well as I have halved the recipe with good results.

For 2 quarts:
2 1/4 cups water
6 regular sized tea bags
6 cups cold water

Bring the 2 1/4 cups water to a low boil. Add your tea bags, remove from the heat and cover. Steep for 15 minutes.

Remove the tea bags without squeezing them. (Recipe stated this would add bitterness). Pour into a 2 1/2 quart heatproof container, add the 6 cups of cold water and mix. Cool at room temperature and then refrigerate.

For sweetened tea, add 1 1/2 cups sugar.
Recipe: The Best of Fine Cooking, Weekend Cooking, page 49


My Notes:
I did not add the sugar.

Oh and please be careful with the tea bags as I had a brief moment with the tea bags being involved in a "thermal event". After I dropped them in the pan, the gas stove caught the stringy tags on fire and there was what a small panic. What fun would cooking be without flames? Toasty iced tea anyone?

Comments

Melanie said…
I'm a terrible southerner - I use instant.
Anonymous said…
LOL... love the "thermal event"story. I have had that happen a few times....
There's nothing like homemade sweet iced tea.
Love your blog.
Marie H.
Whitsett, North Carolina

Popular Posts