White Garlicky Pizza with Shrimp



I didn't know what I wanted to make for dinner. I felt ho-hum about all my ideas even though my fridge is full of nearly every vegetable, meat and seafood available. I have been craving shrimp lately and invented this recipe.

Garlicky Shrimp Pizza

The idea was a pizza crust, topped with a white cheesy/alfredo like sauce and shrimp.

Roast a head of garlic in the oven at 375F for 1 hour.

Meanwhile start your pizza dough. This version I did in my bread machine.

Pizza Dough - Add ingredients according to your machine's instructions.

1 1/2 teaspoon yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil

Set it for dough, press Start.

Rich and Cheesy Sauce

2T butter
3T flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded italian cheese mix
Salt & Pepper

Make the roux: melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour. Slowly add the milk and whisk. Bring to a simmer and continue to whisk. When thickened, reduce heat and add the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

For Pizza

Olive oil
Cracked black pepper
Roasted garlic head from above
Fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
Crushed red pepper
10 shrimp, cleaned and tails removed

Roll the pizza dough on a greased cookie sheet. I used a greased perforated pan. Drizzle with olive oil, cracked black pepper, your sauce, dot with the roasted garlic, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, shake a bit of crushed red pepper and top with the shrimp.

Bake at 400F for about 20-25 minutes. I had mine in for closer to 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before slicing.

I tasted this and was like...POW! Good, rich flavor then the earthy garlic and a bit of a zing from the crushed red pepper. Definite keeper!


Pizza dough recipe is from Pizza, Focaccia, Flat and Filled Breads - From Your Bread Machine - by Lora Brody. I omitted the black pepper from her original recipe. It was a bit too "bready" of a pizza dough, but I have to admit that I do love many recipes in her book. ALL of them have cooked to perfection.

Comments

Kayte said…
This looks really really good. Will need to make this for the guys very soon...teens and pizza go together like, well...teens and pizza! Great photo of it all. I love it when you are back blogging!
Kaye said…
Looks great, Melissa! I even like the bready pizza dough.
Anonymous said…
I don't care if it's bready...It still looks absolutely heavenly! Great job!

Popular Posts