Oven Roasting Tomatoes


Tomatoes are such a versatile food. You can use them in almost anything and they are great in a large variety of dishes from different cultures. In this recipe I'm using Romas. This is great for the cooler months when tomatoes aren't at the peak flavor.

For 2 good servings, I used a 13x9 inch glass baking dish and cut about 3 pounds of Roma tomatoes into chunks. Rough chop an onion, and add several cloves of garlic. I sliced the garlic in half. Drizzled olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper and dried thyme. Toss.

Bake at 300 degrees for about 2 hours. I toss about half-way through, checking to make sure they are getting soft and cooking evenly. 2 hours might seem long, but because it comes together fast and needs almost no babysitting, it is really easy.

When done, I do a rough mash with the potato masher and use in my recipe or top directly on pasta.

Chop
Toss
Drizzle
Bake

It's fun, simple and the results are ooo so yummy....and it makes the house smell good!


Source: Me

Comments

Anonymous said…
sounds good. i will have to try it out.. diana
Anonymous said…
Now this is somehting I think I can definitely do. I may try this soon. Thanks!
Melanie said…
Can I freeze? I have 9 roma tomato plants - I'll have lots of tomatos to do something with.
Melissa said…
Melanie,
Yes you can freeze. It does very well. I'll stop by for some of your homegrown Romas! Neat-o.

Popular Posts