Montreal Steak Seasoning - Take 1






When seasoning something for the grill, sometimes I like to grab a pre-mixed seasoning. I had purchased some Montreal Steak Seasoning and wow, was it salty. I changed brands at least twice and just found there was a heck of alot of salt in these mixes. (Why am I hearing the health people in my head saying..Did you read the Nutrional Information?)

I was given as a gift, 2 GIANT sized containers of Montreal Steak Seasonings. I decided to start breaking down what I thought were the ingredients in the list. I sat with a paper plate, picked through the flecks, tasted and noted. Then started judging the amounts. And now, this is well, Melissa's Montreal Steak Seasoning I guess!

3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
3 tablespoons dried minced garlic
1 tablespoon dill seed
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon rosemary
1 tablespoon coriander

Toss into the food processor or spice grinder. Give it a whirl or three to get it broken up, melded well, but not pulverized.
Dill seed? Yes, it has been an ingredient in 2 of the brands I bought. Sounds like it would make your meats...well...dilly. No, it really just highlights the other flavors.


Note: So that I didn't waste the gift I had, I would take half of the mixture out of the container, add my own mix and shake. Then after using, I would make it again and use more of the purchased mix. After all this is gone, I'll add some kosher salt, but it won't be very much.

Comments

Sally said…
I'm so proud of you for not being wasteful!!! :)

Popular Posts