Mediterranean Halibut


I love halibut this way. It's really flavoful and still lets the fresh clean fish come through without taking away texture.


This is a really simple dish and you could change several ingredients and still turn out a great meal. You could even change the fish! Try cod one time.

Yes I know it says one pound of halibut serves two, but we eat alot, okay? You could serve 3 I suppose. 4 cuts look awfully small to me.


Mediterranean Halibut

1 pound halibut filet, skin removed, cut into 2 pieces
Olive oil
Garlic, minced
1 bulb fennel, greens removed, bulb chopped
14 oz canned diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock, or so
Seasonings: thyme, black pepper, pinch salt
1/4 cup black olives, chopped

Loaf of crusty bread


Preheat the oven to 425.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a big oven proof skillet. I use a nice deep skillet. Add the minced garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Add the fennel. Let saute another minute. Add the chicken stock and tomatoes. Let simmer for about 2 minutes and add your seasonings. If I have fresh parsley, toss some chopped leaves in. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, add the black olives and the halibut. I used kalamata olives.

Slide the whole pan into the oven and let cook for about 20 minutes or till the halibut flakes nicely and is opaque.

I serve this in a wide bowl and ladle the juices around. It's great with a nice crusty bread.

This is a simple dish with flexible ingredients. Try onions softened instead of the fennel. Use leftover roasted garlic. Try cod instead of halibut. I think you will find it very forgiving. Eat seafood they say!

Comments

Sally said…
OK, now you've done it! I think we're having fish tonight! ;)

Pssst, I left you something on my blog!!!
Melissa. That looks wonderful. I love halibut. I love fish cooked this way.

Popular Posts