Cooking Italy: Poached Shrimp with Olive Oil and Lemon Juice

Gamberetti all'Olio e Limone - Poached Shrimp with Olive Oil and Lemon Juice

I was a bit leary about this recipe. It sounded so plain. What was I going to serve it with? I read my others friends in the Cooking Italy group were making it and raving over the shrimp. Okay, no excuses, I will make this plain sounding dinner. I decided to serve a orzo stuffed bell pepper with it on the side. Recipe coming soon.

Review: Delightful! Fresh shrimp cooked to perfection! A simple dressing, not overpowering which brought through the taste of real shrimp and not just a dressing. BH mentioned no less than 3 times that he LOVED this dinner. He would eat this again he said. Also he mentioned he would like this for a work lunch. He repeated...he would have it for dinner or we could make it again. LOL. Definitely a hit! Sometimes, it's the simpliest of recipes that really highlights the flavors of the main ingredient instead of masking them.

This was simply cooking shrimp in boiling water with celery, carrot, salt and wine vinegar. It's finished with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and fresh ground black pepper. Allow to rest to room temperature. The sauces meld and are perfect with crusty bread.

I can't give away the secrets, but you can buy the cookbook, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan. It's worth it.

Join us or follow along. Visit Spinach Tiger for details. The group's blog roll is below:

Cooking Italy Blog Roll
Alphabet Soup
Cantbelieveweate
From Laptop to Stovetop
Grandma’s Kitchen Table
Maria Paray
Sassafrass Cafe
Shelley Bakes
Spinach Tiger

Comments

Unknown said…
so did you say bh loved it... I couldn't get the gest of what you were saying... HAHAHAHa... JUST KIDDING.

It sounds fabulous.
Kayte said…
Hey, there I could not get on the Aunt Dee Dee Apple one to comment, so I will comment here...looks fabulous...any left?

As for this one, I would eat this shrimp dish any where any time any place with any one...love that dish, too!
Maria Paray said…
Hahaha - wasn't this the BEST??? I was also shocked by the lamb, again a simple marinade - but delicious! (and I don't even like lamb!)

That Marcella knows what she's talking about :-)

Popular Posts