Potato Galette or Pommes Chef Anne


A great brunch! Sliced potatoes, layered with cheese, olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper, baked till the potatoes are tender but the outside crispy. Oh yum.

I recently saw an old episode of "Secret of a Restaurant Chef" with Anne Burrell and she made these potatoes. Her recipe name is Pommes Chef Anne. Sort of an off take of the Pommes Anna potatoes and are layered galette style.

I have always wanted to try a Potato Galette and this recipe gave me a good base with some very important instructions.

Pommes Chef Anne, Adapted from Anne Burrell
3 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean
Extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano
Kosher salt
Special Equipment: Mandoline, 8-inch nonstick saute pan

I used about 6 potatoes, although smaller ones and they were Idaho potatoes. I also used a 10" nonstick skillet because I thought the 8" looked awfully small.


Preheat the oven to 425F.


Drizzle olive oil into your pan and begin layering your potato slices. Brush the slices with olive oil, sprinkle cheese, salt and pepper.


Turn the burner on medium heat and cook until the potatoes are brown. This will be your top, so be sure they are brown and crispy. This took me about 20 minutes. Do not check until at least 10 minutes because the potatoes are soft at first and will tear when you do the initial peak.

Take a pan lid, cover your skillet, and drain the olive oil from the pan. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. YOU MUST DRAIN BEFORE FLIPPING. After draining, use the pan lid to help you flip the galette. Flip the potato onto the lid and then slide the galette back into the pan with the browned side now on top.

Bake at 425F for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, slide out onto your serving plate and be ready to eat.

Serving condiments such as sour cream and chives are perfect.

Comments

Kayte said…
These look absolutely perfect, I can never get them the color I want them, so I am going to re-read this and carefully do it your way and see what I get from that...these are just so perfect looking. I already said that, didn't I? Well, they ARE! Great photos. Thanks for the tips.

Popular Posts