Shrimp Tacos - Quick and Flavorful Dinner

I loved these! I had pulled into Taco Bell recently for a quick lunch and saw the signs advertising their shrimp tacos. I thought...hmm...shrimp tacos from a fast food restaurant? Would they be any good? I gave one a try. It was actually surprising good.

I decided that I could definitely make these at home. It would be such a quick and simple dinner.
I buy raw, frozen shrimp on a regular basis because it's so easy to make dishes with shrimp. It's very low cost and I love shrimp. Really...shrimp when on sale are very economical. Especially when purchased frozen. They can be defrosted very quickly and used in a variety of dishes.




I pan sauteed shrimp with olive oil, fresh minced garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne.

Mix your avocado sauce. Drizzle over the shrimp, add lettuce, roll and devour! Great tacos.

Shrimp Tacos - Serves 2
16 shrimp*, peeled, deveined and defrosted if needed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1T olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
sprinkle of cayenne
2 flour tortillas, burrito sized
1/4 cup mexican or cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup lettuce, chopped
Avocado Sauce:
1/4 cup premade zesty guacamole
1/4 cup milk, half and half or cream

Preheat oven to 275. Wrap tortillas in a foil package and stick in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.

Mix guacamole and milk to desired consistency. I have seen several recipes for an avocado dressing, but the premade guacamole just made the seasoning quite easy.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat, add garlic and stir it for about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and toss well. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook until shrimp just turn pink. About 4-5 minutes.

Remove shells from oven. Lay 8 shrimp on each warm tortilla. Drizzle with avocado sauce, top with lettuce and cheese.

Serve.

Shrimp: I normally get the 31-40 size shrimp. The average serving size is 7 per person according to the bag. I pay about $9.99 per 2 pound bag. That's 80 shrimp for $9.99. If you are serving 8 shrimp per person that's less than a $1. As I said, very economical and also lower in fat. Good food choice.

Defrosting shrimp: I pull out the bag from the freezer, drop the shrimp into a strainer (in this case only 16), rinse with cold water and let sit for about 30 minutes. During the defrosting, I prepare other parts of the meal, do laundry, go through mail, etc. The shrimp I buy is normally cleaned, I just need to remove the tail. I love the raw frozen shrimp because then I can cook them as needed with the flavors.

Comments

Kayte said…
I saw those shrimp tacos advertised on the television and they didn't look nearly as good as yours...these look delicious!

Popular Posts