Veal Stock


Stocks! Always homemake your stocks and your meals will be richly rewarded! Promise!

For my next post, I needed Veal Stock. I didn't realize that veal bones would be so hard to come by around here. I knew my favorite gourmet store would rescue me though! After a little begging from the chef there, he sold me some of his bones. Bones that he would use for Veal Stock!

This is a simple recipe. I roasted the bones, then added to a large stock pot with "mirepoix". Mirepoix is celery, carrot and onion. I also added garlic, tomato paste, parsley, giant bouquet garni, peppercorns and salt. Topped with water and simmered away. Made the kitchen smell great.

It became the most velvety, rich, warming stock and finished my Whisk Wednesday dish beautifully. That will be the next post!

Comments

Anonymous said…
These stocks are amazing, aren't they? I love that you can make them beforehand and freeze them...such a time saver! It is also such fun to see the little containers of stock all lined up in the freezer just waiting for me. There have been days when I think, "I don't really have time to cook" or "no one is going to be home for dinner tonight" and my thoughts immediately say, "Hey, make stock!" LOL!
Anonymous said…
I'm so envious! LOL! I think my "holy grail" is veal bones! LOL!
Shari said…
It's so interesting to see that everyone's had trouble finding veal bones for veal stock. My supply is out now, so I'll have to go hunting for veal bones soon too!

Popular Posts