Chicken Stock - Uses...How handy



I don't always have homemade chicken stock on hand. I sure wish I did, it's very economical and so easy to make. Smells and looks alot better than the canned stuff, that's for sure. But for some reason, I have found that in order to cook, I have to partake in a 9-5 JOB. Very depressing. Working just gets in the way of cooking all the foods that I would love to make. Hmmph.


One of my loves is Costco, and one of the products my Costco carries is this Chicken Broth which is much better than the other shelf brands.


I find many people saying, but WHAT do you use it for? I find myself reaching for that stock container in my fridge, so often. Soups, stews, simmers, sauces, etc. I've found that I can cut back on oil and use some stock instead. VERY good secret.


Take a meal that you would soften garlic and onion. I heat a smaller amount of olive oil, toss in the chopped onion, then garlic and then a touch of stock. Maybe a few tablespoons. Just depends on what I'm making. But I really like knowing that I'm reducing the amount of oil/fat in my cooking.


This is a nice mild stock without a heavy chicken flavor. I'm not trying to sell you on this brand, but as you hang around this website you'll read where I'm tossing in some "chicken stock" and this is what I mean.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know what you mean, I keep stocks like this in these kinds of cartons around all the time...a little here, a little there, and it has made a huge difference in the taste and depth of my cooking. The goal is homemade stock, but when I don't have it, I would not be without these in my pantry EVER. Nice informative post...and helps me feel less guilty about using them myself...LOL!

Popular Posts